SIMBRINZA® (brinzolamide/brimonidine tartrate ophthalmic suspension) 1%/0.2% is a fixed combination indicated in the reduction of elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
SIMBRINZA® Suspension is contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to any component of this product and neonates and infants under the age of 2 years.
References: 1. SIMBRINZA® Suspension [prescribing information]. Fort Worth, TX: Alcon Laboratories Inc; 2015. 2. Fechtner RD, Myers JS, Hubatsch DA, Budenz DL, DuBiner HB. Ocular hypotensive effect of fixed-combination brinzolamide/brimonidine adjunctive to a prostaglandin analog: a randomized clinical trial [published online July 1, 2016]. Eye (Lond). 2016;30(10):1343-1350. doi:10.1038/eye.2016.126. 3. Katz G, DuBiner H, Samples J, Void S, Sall K. Three-month randomized trial of fixed-combination brinzolamide, 1%, and brimonidine, 0.2%. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013;131(6):724-730. 4. Nguyen QH, McMenemy MG, Realini T, Whitson JT, Goode SM. Phase 3 randomized 3-month trial with an ongoing 3-month safety extension of fixed-combination brinzolamide 1%/brimonidine 0.2%. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2013;29(3):290-297.
- Open-angle glaucoma patient with elevated IOP
- On PGA therapy that has reduced her IOP from 26 mm Hg OU to 18 mm Hg OU for several years
- Maintains an active lifestyle with an upbeat, independent attitude
- Recently, Ann's IOP has risen to around 22 mm Hg OU, and optic nerve damage has progressed
- She is cognizant of the need to work toward a target IOP and a reduction of approximately 5 mm Hg
Consider adding SIMBRINZA® Suspension to a PGA
- Open-angle glaucoma patient
- Currently treated with a PGA and brimonidine 0.2%
- No comorbid conditions
- Joe was started on a prostaglandin 6 months ago and achieved IOP lowering
- He was later prescribed brimonidine 0.2% and obtained additional IOP control, but he still needs additional IOP reduction to reach his target IOP
- He is concerned about adding another bottle to his regimen
- Consider using SIMBRINZA® Suspension to replace Joe's brimonidine 0.2% to maintain his burden of therapy (number of bottles used per day) while offering additional IOP lowering
- Counsel Joe about lowering his IOP and prescribe him SIMBRINZA® Suspension